Friday, November 18, 2005

Martyn Joseph - Awesome (trumpet player?)

We had an Erics band trip to see singer songwriter Martyn Joseph last night. Dave, Linda, Sam and myself have all seen MJ before - Phil and Sam's partner Jill were the virgins.

Describing music is difficult, part protest, part folk, part infused with a gentle God bothering (but not enough to make Sam feel uncomfortable), part David Gray, part Bruce. All delivered acoustically with exceptional guitar playing behind a wonderful voice which, though not the best I've ever heard, he uses to both move and inspire the crowd.

When the performance starts it is clear from the off that this guy knows his craft. New songs are interspersed with old favourites. He also has the intersong patter and anecdotes off to a 't'. Stand out for me were a new song about the life of African American activist and Singer Paul Robeson (as Martyn said - if you dont know who he is...you really ought to!), the classic Cardiff Bay and an extraordinary virtuoso acoustic guitar fest called Wake Me up.

We also got covers of Piano Man, Stuck in Moment and One of Us. Dave loves this guy and was close to tears on a number of occasions. All of us left raving about the performance and I would like to think a little inspired and less cynical.

Finally in a Vic and Bob style misunderstanding, my knackered drummers ears mis heard Jill as she said "theres the Horse and Trumpet" (pub) as "He's an awsome trumpeter" For a few moments I thought she knew something about MJ that I didn't!! Guess you had to be there.

Great night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've heard he is pretty handy on the beef bassoon too. But no, being serious, i wasnt crying it was just that i had supped so much beer it was spilling out of me eyes. brilliant night and we're gonna have to do it again soon.

Anonymous said...

I was going to put something on my blog but as you introduced me to MJ I thought it's only right to let you blog about him.
His guitar playing goes without saying - it's his lyrics that do it for me and especially those that juxtapose his more cynical views of religion with his faith, and his faith in God. They are so strong, powerful, full of hope and incredibly moving. I was stunned by his last song (Deep blue?)about the day he will have his union with God. Awesome.