Saturday, October 22, 2005

I love the Harry Potter books.

I started reading the 5th installment - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - because someone left it hanging around at my Mum's house. Within 15mins I was hooked. I went on to finish it in around 3 days. I usually read very little fiction but Jk Rowling has such a great storytelling style I just cant put her books down.

I quickly read the first 4 books and settled down (with millions of others) to await the publication of 'Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince'. I was in Ireland at my sisters when it was released. But I got my copy at 9:00am on the day of publication!

What I wasn't prepared for was the emotional roller coaster that I was embarking on. I won't go into the plot as it might spoil the book for others, but I was utterly blown away by the relationship which develops between Ginny Weasley (pictured above) and Harry. There had been much speculation on Potter websites about who Harry would fall in love with, but the way this story was written surpassed any thing anyone had predicted.

From the moment they got together to the moment Harry has to tell her that it couldn't go on, was story writing at its best. I was so gutted at the end of the book that I cried. Not a little but a lot! Ruth said I was in a mood for about a fortnight. Hard to believe this twice divorced cynic could be so moved by a story of 16 year olds in love, but I was. Now I have to wait 2 years to find out if all will end well in the final installment.

In the meantime there is the November movie release of 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire' or GoF as us Harry Potter chat roomers like to call it. Can't Wait!!

No comments: