Wednesday, September 21, 2005

ONES THAT DIDN'T QUITE MAKE IT


Here are a couple of songs that I love but aren't in my top 5

I Want You Back- The Jackson 5

What an opening riff. Pure pop. Then a brilliant bass line (even Dave would struggle with it!!). The chorus and middle eight (I want you back OOOOOO I want you back etc) are magic. What ever happened to the little lad who sang lead vocals? So sad.

A mate at work (Laith) who remixes dance stuff did me a personal remix of this which is ace. If you would like to hear it, just ask at a gig.

I also love ABC, I'll Be there and Can You Feel it by the same artists.


Born to Run- Bruce Springsteen

This one only just missed out on top5dom. It will be played at my funeral. The Spectoresque wall of sound production speaks for itself. This is an song on an epic scale. No one produces stuff like this anymore. Live it is a good song, but it never quite hits the spot in the way the album version does. If you dont feel like joining in by the end you must be dead already.

One of my fondest memories is seeing Bruce on the stage in Roundhay park looking out at 82000 people, the band where playing the cresendo bit after the stabs in the middle of the song, he prowled the stage urging the band and audience on until he stopped at the mike and shouted 1, 2, 3, 4 . the ground seemed to shake from then till the end of the song. Brilliant!!

1 comment:

David said...

Top 5 ??? Impossible for me to judge cos I love so many songs....
Born to run would be a possible top 20... I was at that gig in roundhay park, travelled form Scarborough with myn first wife Sue...Hot day & a great gig !!